Careers at DDI
Marketing & Communication Coordinator
Downtown Durham, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization that envisions downtown as the diverse, unique and thriving heart of Durham that is welcoming to all.
Our mission is to enhance the environment, economy and vitality of downtown Durham, while preserving and enriching its distinctive culture and strong sense of community.
Downtown Durham, Inc. is seeking a Marketing & Communication Coordinator. The successful candidate must align with our vision and mission as well as have marketing, communication, graphic design, social media and website experience. This position will play a key role in creating and distributing content, supporting planning and logistics for marketing initiatives and helping to measure communication effectiveness by tracking metrics.
The candidate must be outgoing, comfortable speaking and working with the public, corporate leaders and public officials; able to work independently, and as a member of our team; comfortable handling multiple projects at the same time; have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable with technology and learning new technology.
A Bachelor’s degree in communication or marketing is preferred. The Marketing & Communication Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Marketing, Communication & Placekeeping. This position is full-time.
COMPENSATION: Mid $40s
BENEFITS: Vacation, holiday and sick leave, health insurance, retirement program, parking.
TO APPLY: Please forward your resume to [email protected], with the subject line: “Marketing & Communication Coordinator.” Include a brief description of why you are interested in the position, a writing sample and a list of three references.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or an approved reasonable accommodation is required in order to be employed in this position. COVID-19 vaccination includes 2 doses of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Assist in ensuring DDI’s brand is consistently and appropriately used across all publications, marketing collateral, presentations and external communications.
- Maintain and update media contact lists regularly. Track and electronically store media coverage of downtown Durham and DDI stakeholders.
- Assist with planning and execution of special events as needed, including day-of duties and logistics. This includes working at some evening and weekend events.
- Represent DDI at meetings and civic events as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience with graphic design, social media management and writing for publication.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Marketing and promotion of small businesses, events, economic development opportunities and/or revitalization efforts is preferred.
- Ability to set priorities, successfully manage multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines is required.
- Detail oriented, well organized with strong follow-through behavior.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be creative, actively learn and do what it takes to achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated experience and skill using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign is required.
- Experience and skill using Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience with WordPress websites is required.
- Knowledge of AP Style is preferred.
- Photography skills preferred.
- College degree in marketing, communication, graphic design or related field preferred.