Web Platform Manager, Duke University Press
Duke University Press supports scholars via academic publishing.
Remote work is supported for this position in the following locations: AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, MT, MD, NC, NJ, NY, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA.
Duke University Press (DUP) seeks a Web Platform Manager (Web Development Project Manager) to develop and deliver on a strategic roadmap for our highly integrated web platforms, including our e-commerce platform and our scholarly books and journals content platforms, aligning all sites in support of the Press’s business goals. The Web Platform Manager works closely with the marketing, sales, customer relations, content production, enterprise systems, and IT teams, as well as third-party vendors and partners to lead centralized planning, development, and maintenance of the Press’s web platforms. The Web Platform Manager is responsible for long-term planning, project management, and day-to-day management of the web platforms. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Information Systems Manager and is a member of the Business Information and Technology Services (BITS) group.
With appropriate experience, a variety of Bachelor’s degrees may be considered qualifying for this role.
If interested please submit the University-required electronic application, including your résumé and cover letter, before close of the position at Noon on Friday, October 7, 2022.
Duke University Press is strongly committed to fighting racism and to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. We welcome applicants who share this commitment.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
I. Strategic Planning and Product Management
· Engage key users and stakeholders, including business leaders, to inform the strategic roadmap for both e-commerce and content platforms, and execute on that roadmap.
· Plan the ongoing development of existing web platforms to support the operations and strategic goals of the overall business
· Own all product documentation related to platform development and manage the product enhancement process, from request to contract to implementation
· Ensure that all properties within the DUP web portfolio are working in conjunction with each other to achieve business goals
· Ensure revenue-critical web platforms remain highly available and stable for the benefit of customers
II. Project Management, Budget Management
· Serve as project manager on major web platform development projects
· Serve as leader of the cross-functional teams responsible for the ongoing management of each platform and the integration of these platforms with DUP’s enterprise systems
· Create and manage budgets for annual maintenance, strategic development, and major projects related to the web platforms
III. Customer and User Support
· Maintain a support and enhancement request process
· Respond promptly and fully to requests for support, both internal and external
· Report regularly on status of support requests
· Create and maintain training materials; train internal users on use of platform tools and on general platform operations relevant to their roles
IV. Vendor Relationship Management
· Manage key vendor relationships vital to the creation and ongoing management of our web platforms
· Negotiate contracts; work with Duke University Procurement to execute contracts
· Manage invoices from and payment to all web vendors
V. Compliance and Web Best Practices
· Coordinate with the Press’s IT department and Duke University compliance offices to ensure that web applications are secure and compliant with industry standards and university policies
· Ensure all web platforms and platform vendors comply with Duke University e-commerce and data security policies
· Establish and support the implementation of web standards and a consistent style for DUP platforms
· Follow emerging trends and best practices in web technologies and user experience and incorporate them as appropriate into DUP’s web portfolio
· Create awareness across the Press and with stakeholders about web trends and technologies
VI. SEO and Analytics
· Create, implement, enforce, and continuously improve search engine optimization practices
· Review analytics regularly for clues to site efficacy and usability; regularly report on high-level use statistics related to site impact and site operations
· Support marketing and content production teams in use of the analytics tools for their own needs
VII. Cross-Functional Coordination
· Work with DUP IT to plan and manage the system integration and hosting requirements of the web platforms
· Work with product managers of enterprise systems to design and maintain effective integrations with web platforms
· Work with marketing teams to align digital marketing activity with web strategy; support them in the use of analytics tools to measure the efficacy of social media efforts
· Act as liaison between the vendor and the DUP editorial-production team when online publishing workflows (books and journals) intersect with general web development and maintenance
Department-Preferred Qualifications (skills and knowledge that may contribute to success in this role)
· Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
· Exceptional communication skills, with a commitment to proactive communication to and cultivation of stakeholders
· Ability to lead effectively through influence
· Ability to build, maintain, and develop effective relationships with vendors and colleagues from different backgrounds and levels of technical ability
· Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions.
· Excellent facilitation and interpersonal skills
· Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow-through on tasks in a timely manner
· Ability to translate user/client input into project goals, deliverables and project plans
· Familiarity with one or more popular content management systems, e.g. Drupal or WordPress
Department-Preferred Experience: Minimum of 2 years applicable experience, developing and delivering complex web projects, with appropriate attention to all aspects of the project development life cycle. Experience in publishing or scholarly communications preferred.
To apply for this job please visit www.dukeupress.edu.