Director of Marketing for Downtown Durham, Inc.
Downtown Durham, Inc. Director of Marketing
Downtown Durham, Inc., a private non-profit organization charged with the revitalization of downtown Durham, is seeking a Director of Marketing. The successful candidate must have marketing, event management, newsletter and website experience. The candidate must be outgoing; able to work independently, and as a member of our team; handle multiple projects at the same time; have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; and have “hands-on” computer experience. A college degree is required. The Director of Marketing will be responsible for the planning and management of DDI’s promotional and marketing efforts. This position is full-time.
COMPENSATION: Mid $50,000.
BENEFITS: Vacation, holiday, and sick leave, retirement program, parking, travel allowance.
APPLICATION: Please forward your resume and cover letter, with references, by September 1, 2017.
Nicole J. Thompson,
President/CEO Downtown Durham, Inc.
307 W. Main St. Suite 102
Durham, NC 27701
Director of Marketing Job Description
Qualifications and Experience:
- Marketing and promotion of economic development and/orrevitalization efforts
- Maintenance of website, Facebook and other social media
- Newsletter editor experience
- Event management and marketing of DDI events, DDI-sponsoredevents, and other relevant downtown events
- Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Mail Chimp orother newsletter application
- College degree in marketing, communications, graphic design orrelated field preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written required
- Knowledge of graphic design software like Adobe Illustrator andPhotoshop and/or other graphic software a bonus
- Preferably a work history that includes at least one full-timeprofessional engagement lasting more than 18-months involving the management of significant marketing duties while coordinating closely with colleagues in other departments
- A burning desire to help continue building the Bull City into a thriving, welcoming destination
- Create a concise and professional DDI brand to be used for all DDI publications, marketing materials, presentations, email updates, etc.
- Research, develop, and budget new projects/services which will improve the image of downtown and DDI
- Develop, manage and market DDI events and co-sponsored events, to include DDI’s Annual Meeting and Third Fridays (working with DDI’s contracted events management company)
- Manage ad placement and marketing collateral and track all marketing deadlines
- Assist, as appropriate, in the marketing of downtown special events and festivals
- Act as the DDI staff liaison for other downtown and community organizations in the promotion of their events and serve on appropriate city and county committees, commissions, and work groups. Currently, DDI works with private sector, City of Durham’s SERT team, the Arts Council, Carolina Theatre, Durham Bulls, DCVB, Chamber, YMCA, Library, City and County, Hayti Heritage Center, Durham Central Park, CenterFest, Beer Festival, Art of Cool, Moogfest, etc.
- Manage all internal and external communications for DDI to ensure its messages are consistent to include social media
- Act as editor of DDI publications including quarterly newsletters, annual report, economic development marketing/recruitment brochures, DDI brochures, website, etc.
- Develop and publish DDI email update–events update, business update, restaurant reminder, etc.
- Assist with grand opening events for downtown businesses and with marketing consultations
- Work individually with staff to provide input and assistance to present information in a concise and understandable manner
- Write and disseminate press releases
- Develop and maintain a database of press representatives and contacts
- Provide information about DDI and downtown to the public in an appropriate and timely manner
- Assist with any overflow work functions in the office including answering telephone calls, copying, etc.
- Assist in managing outside vendors, especially but not exclusively on matters involving marketing.